Mosaica Family & Senior Apartments
February 03, 2012|
The Mosaica Family and Senior Apartments realize the full potential of mixed-use, mixed-income design principles. Mosaica became TNDC’s first property in the Mission District in November 2009, when TNDC took over management of the project from the Citizens Housing Corporation. The one-square-block site incorporates 93 units of housing for low-income families, 24 units for low-income seniors, 34 homeownership units, 11,000 square feet of resident services and commercial space, and a private courtyard with green space and playground equipment. Mixed-use developments strive to build community by creating safe, communal spaces for residents to enjoy, and on a typical afternoon, the Mosaica courtyard is a vibrant scene of children playing while parents and neighbors look on. The project’s commercial spaces support local entrepreneurs and are a nod to the Northeast Mission District’s history as a center of light industry. This seamless weaving of housing for low- and middle-income people with places of work and recreation have earned Mosaica a Gold Nugget Grand Award for “Best Affordable Project” and made it a Finalist for Affordable Housing Finance Magazine’s Readers’ Choice Awards in the “Master-Planned/Mixed-Use” category.
- Unit Mix: 151 Units of Mixed-Use, Affordable Rental and Ownership Housing
- Population: 93 units of housing for low-income families, 24 units for low-income seniors, 34 homeownership units, 11,000 square feet of resident services and commercial space.
- Construction: New Construction
- TNDC Role: Development Partner: Citizens Housing Corporation
- Support Services Partner: Lutheran Social Services
- 2010 Mosaica wins 2010 Reader’s Choice Awards for the Nation’s Best Affordable Housing Development Project in the Master-Planned/Mixed-Use category, Affordable Housing Finance Magazine
Photo by Tim Griffith