44 McAllister Street
Built in 1924 and originally named the “Evangeline” after the daughter of the founder of the Salvation Army, this building was originally offered as a home for young working women. In 1981 TNDC purchased the building to maintain its use as affordable housing for those in need. Among its diverse tenant population, Civic Center Residence provides affordable, safe housing to 105 formerly homeless seniors and individuals. As part of a recently completed renovation to improve safety and livability, CCR now provides two fully accessible elevators, upgraded sprinkler and alarm systems and improvements to plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems. Renovation of all residential units included a private toilet and a micro-refreshment center with a sink, cabinet and countertop, and refrigerator. Common areas include three community kitchens, outdoor courtyard areas, shower rooms and management and support services offices for TNDC onsite staff.