460 Ellis Street
Frank J. Klimm, an electrical contractor in the early twentieth century whose vision was to create a “high-class” residence and showplace, commissioned the Klimm Apartments. Construction was completed in 1913 and the property has been owned and operated as affordable housing by TNDC since 1986. The building has 42 units, including 2 one-bedroom and 40 studio apartments that house families, couples, and individuals, and there are two commercial spaces at the street level. TNDC’s renovation of the building consisted of major structural and seismic safety upgrades, upgrades to plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems, accessibility upgrades in units, and unit repairs and remodels. Sustainable building practices were incorporated including a high-efficiency condensing boiler; Energy Star rated roof, energy efficient lighting and windows, and nontoxic paint and flooring. Completed in 2006, the Klimm Apartments is poised to provide a safe, healthy, and permanently affordable place for low-income seniors, single individuals, and families to live for many years to come.