Aarti Hotel – 391 Leavenworth Street
February 03, 2012|
Built in 1907 and acquired by TNDC in 1981, the Aarti Hotel was recently rehabbed to serve formerly homeless, at-risk Transitional Aged Youth (TAY), people ages 18 to 24 with serious mental health needs.
The rehabilitation scope included the complete remodel of the ground floor commercial space to include five counseling offices, a reception area, a community room and a computer lab. The residential floors received a new laundry room, upgraded kitchens, living rooms, wash closets and shower rooms. All 40 residential units received new finishes and furniture. Additionally, TNDC replaced all residential doors and exterior windows. This spring TNDC will utilize its remaining grant funding to repaint the building exterior and install a new roof.
The rehabilitation project has allowed Larkin to expand the number of housing options to serve its TAY population and expand its Routz program at a single site location. Larkin works closely with the City of San Francisco’s Community Behavioral Health Services Department, a division of the Department of Public Health, to identify and link homeless and at-risk youth who are most appropriate for the Routz housing program. Once enrolled in Routz, residents have access through Larkin’s continuum of programs and community partners like the Family Services Agency to intensive case management, psychiatric assessment and treatment, peer-based support, and job training. TNDC will remain the property manager and owner during Larkin’s Routz program tenancy.
- Unit Mix: 40 units of supportive housing for transitional youth,commercial spaces, art gallery
- Completed: 2011 Population: Formerly homeless, at-risk Transitional Aged Youth (TAY), people ages 18 to 24 with serious mental health needs.
- Construction: Rehab
- Financing Sources: City and County of San Francisco, Mayor’s Office of Housing (CDBG), City and County of San Francisco, Department of Public Health (MHSA-CBHS), Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco Affordable Housing Program, Silicon Valley Bank, NeighborWorks America
- TNDC Role: Developer, Property Manager
- Support Services Partner: Larkin Street Youth Services
Location: 391 Leavenworth Street, San Francisco
Photos by Luke Thomas